It Finally Happened. Bay State Marathon Race Report.

Hard to believe this thing I have been training for, for months, has already come and gone. Even in the middle of it I was thinking to myself “is this it? man, i dont want it to end then!”. I stopped thinking that at mile 24 though, then I was ready for the finish 🙂

All I can say, is that my my coach and QT2 are a force to be reckoned with. Not to ruin the race report, but they were SPOT ON with nutrition, race pace, training, the whole thing. I never felt bad. I felt AWESOME until mile 24 when I got bored and wanted to finish and start eating! My pace was consistent through every mile. Unreal!

Okay, onto the good stuff:

Went to bed relatively early on Saturday night (9pm-ish) and got up at 4:45am, to start EATING! Unlike a lot of people, I was starving (as usual) and psyched to start eating. I went with the typical race morning breakfast, and was feeling good as I inhaled my applesauce in the car on the way to Lowell.

We were there extremey early. Despite having worked for a race production company for 12 years, I was somehow fooled by the life or death emails strongly encouraging you arrive 90 minutes early. We did, and we were the few and the proud. We did get prime parking because of this though. We went into the arena to warm up and ran into my friend Jay, who was awesome comic relief before this big race.

Pre-race picture with the coach (and husband!)

For some reason, from the second I woke up until I started the race, I wasnt nervous. I trusted the race plan, and I knew as long as I did everything as instructed, I could keep the pace and hit the goal. Of course, because I am a pee-er, I had to pee twice on the half mile walk from where we parked to the start. Annoying!

They didnt have corrals for time, which made things a little messy in that tiny fenced in area. I tried to sneak my way up front as much as possible, but people werent budging. My goal pace was 8:00-8:05 per mile, kept track of on my trusty Garmin. I wore my HR monitor strap too, because PW thought it would be “interesting” to see after.

Mile 1 was a bust…I had about 200 people in front of me doing 10min/mi or less, and in the lane they gave us to run, I couldnt get around them. I started out this race SUPER frustrated. The first 4 miles consisted of me swearing in my head and wanting to sprint to get around them but holding back.

The plan was to take a 10 second “wog” break every 2 miles, because I had not hit critical volume. Nutrition wise, I ate 12 Clif Bloks and 3 gels over the course of the race along with as much Gatorade as I could grab from the aid stations.

Here is my Garmin Connect File if you want to see all the dirty details for yourself (HR/Pace/Elevation). If youre in for the long haul of reading, here are my splits for each mile along with average HR for that mile:

Mile 1: 8:13, HR: 180
Mile 2: 8:08, HR: 183
Mile 3: 8:00, HR 183
Mile 4: 8:01, HR: 183
Mile 5: 8:04, HR: 182
Mile 6: 7:58, HR: 183
Mile 7: 8:09, HR: 183
Mile 8: 7:58, HR 184
Mile 9: 8:02, HR: 183
Mile 10: 8:04, HR: 184
Mile 11: 8:03, HR 183
Mile 12: 8:03, HR 185
Mile 13: 8:18, HR 186
Mile 14: 8:11, HR: 187
Mile 15: 8:01, HR: 8:01
Mile 16: 8:10, HR: 186
Mile 17: 8:17, HR: 187
Mile 18: 8:03, HR: 188
Mile 19: 8:14, HR: 187
Mile 20: 8:15, HR: 189
Mile 21: 8:19, HR: 188
Mile 22: 8:12, HR: 189
Mile 23: 8:08, HR: 190
Mile 24: 8:20, HR: 190
Mile 25: 8:12, HR: 191
Mile 26: 8:03, HR: 193
Last .33: 7:41, HR: 198

Total: 3:34:13, 26.33miles, 8:08 min/mi, Average HR: 186bpm

Tried to be as consistent as possible!

Post race, I couldnt walk. I finished, dragged myself (barely) to where PW was, and magically my hip flexors were no more. PW had to lift me and lay me down on the grass without bending anything. Walking to the car was awful. I was looking around wondering why everyone else was walking fine and I was unable to stand on my own. Here I am about 10 minutes after finishing, PW carrying me around:

I did qualify for Boston but would like to get a few more marathons under my belt first. I was so frustrated being stuck behind people and the sheer quantity of people at this race (a whopping 2000), that I cannot imagine what kind of rampage I would be on amongst 25,000. I need to get over that before I can do a huge marathon!!!

I will post some pictures tomorrow. I have a ton of race pictures…but I have to find the cord to upload them to my computer first!

When we got back to the car, all I wanted was my running shoes off…and my Uggs on. Yeah, I was that girl. And I know these are the same three pictures with me in various stages of disarray:

In case you were wondering, on the way home from the race I had a large fry, medium vanilla shake, and medium sprite at McDonalds. When we got home I had a funfetti cookie and some trifle. Then we went out to dinner and I had a block of fried cheese (true story), three rolls, and some pizza. Then the infamous Coldstone for dessert.

Today so far this is what I have had:
-2 cookies
-leftover pizza for lunch
-guacamole and chips
(Below is from Brew City, where we went to dinner!)
-onion rings
-soft pretzel sticks with mustard
-shepard’s pie

Tomorrow is my last day to eat like this, so I am taking full advantage. Wednesday I start to reign it back in, because training starts in 2 weeks for the Relay that goes from Wachusett to Westport (in May). Woohoo!


7 responses

  1. You’d be right at the start of the second wave start, so it wouldn’t be SO bad at Boston. But yes, it is definitely worse than Baystate! 🙂
    Your pace was so consistent! Congrats to you (and Pat) on executing such a perfect race!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s